Medical Emergencies For Dental Practices
Do it now for only £29.99
The General Dental Council (GDC) advises that all members of staff in the dental practice who might be involved in dealing with a medical emergency are trained and prepared to deal with such an emergency at any time. Maintaining the knowledge and competence to deal with medical emergencies is an essential part of all dental professionals’ continuing professional development.
This 35 minute on-line learning module includes a comprehensive video delivered by an expert Emergency Medicine doctor to teach the symptoms, signs and management of medical emergencies. This includes the conditions of syncope, hypoglycaemia, epileptic seizures, asthma, anaphylaxis, and cardiac chest pain. After watching the video, your staff can undertake ten multiple-choice questions to confirm understanding, and successful completion will trigger a CPD certificate from Worksafe Training.
Aims and objectives
- To understand the A-E assessment of patients in an emergency.
- To understand the symptoms and signs of the medical emergencies of syncope, hypoglycaemia, epileptic seizures, asthma, anaphylaxis, and cardiac chest pain.
- To understand the initial management of the medical emergencies of syncope, hypoglycaemia, epileptic seizures, asthma, anaphylaxis, and cardiac chest pain.
- To be familiar with the techniques for administering the following drugs in the medical ‘Emergency Drugs’ box: Adrenaline 1:1000 im injection, Glucagon 1mg injection, oral Glucose, oro-mucosal Midazolam, oral Aspirin, sublingual GTN spray, inhaled Salbutamol spray.
- To be aware of the potential side effects of drugs administered for medical emergencies.
This learning module complies with the Resuscitation Council and CQC requirements for learning in Medical Emergencies and meets GDC development outcomes A, B and C. Purchasing the learning module means that all of your staff can complete the initial and annual refresher training flexibly in their own time and location.
First Aid At Work (FAW) Course
This is a 3 days comprehensive First Aid course designed specifically for the work place. It combines background theory and practical scenarios to enable candidates to achieve an excellent level of understanding and the confidence to apply their knowledge in real life situations. There are practical and theory assessments throughout the course. This certificate lasts for 3 years from date of issue.
First Aid At Work (FAW) Annual Refresher Course
HSE guidelines state that employers should ensure their first aiders remain competent to perform their role. As such, it is strongly recommended that first aiders undertake annual refresher training to practise their skills and update their knowledge on the latest first aid procedures.
Over a half day period, Learners will leave with a renewed confidence having had the opportunity to practise essential first aid procedures, including: managing an unresponsive casualty, recovery position, CPR, choking and more.
Emergency First Aid At Work (EFAW)
This is a 1-Day Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW). Key elements are Airway Maintenance, The Unconscious casualty and Recovery Position, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Shock and Control of Bleeding. This course is based on continuous assessment and the certificate lasts for 3 years from date of issue.This course can be tailored to include Defibrillation (AED) – please contact us to discuss your needs.
Basic Life Support (CPR) Course
This is a 2 hour course designed to enhance the understanding of the causes of cardiac arrest and to be able to apply the correct treatment. Use of Oxygen is included where appropriate, e.g., doctor’s and dental surgeries. This certificate lasts for 1 year from date of issue.This course is ideal as a taster session for those considering a full First Aid at Work course.
Medical Emergencies – 3 hours to half day
The ability to effectively manage medical emergencies requires three things: theoretical knowledge; practical skills and effective teamwork and communication. The medical emergency course we offer includes all of these elements. Training is relevant and practical training with all members of the dental practice team able to participate. The course has been designed in line with current CPD requirements and takes approximately half a day (NB: A maximum of 12 candidates is ideal)
The course covers:
- A-E assessment of the sick patient.
- How to use medical and drug history to identify high risk patients.
- Causes, signs and symptoms and treatment of common medical emergencies
Medical emergency scenarios covered in the course include asthma, anaphylaxis, cardiac emergencies including myocardial infarction, hypoglycaemia, stroke and syncope. We encourage staff to use their own dental practice emergency equipment to make training as realistic as possible.
In an emergency situation, it is important that clinical team members are familiar with all the emergency equipment and feel confident in administering life-saving drugs. Our training includes:
- Administration of emergency dental drugs including oxygen therapy
- Practice of intramuscular injection techniques & EpiPen administration.
- Recognition and management of diabetic emergencies including hypoglycaemia and encourage the team to use glucose meters to test capillary blood glucose levels.
- We also discuss the importance of effective team work and communication during emergency situations.
- An opportunity to practice giving structured handover to ambulance staff.
- Automated External Defibrillation (AED) training can be also included if this is relevant.
- The training also offers an opportunity for dental teams to review and rationalise emergency equipment and drugs and to discuss any queries that they may have with the trainer.
Defebrilation (AED-Automated External Defibrilation) Skills
This course is specially designed to enable students to use Automated External Defibrillators with confidence, applying the correct safety measures and following proper procedures. This certificate lasts for 1 year from date of issue.
All courses are fully certified and are verifiable for C.P.D. (Continued Professional Development)